At last the season opens with a Condor flight DE1596 from Munich scheduled for arrival at Kefalonia airport Saturday afternoon at 17.10 local time.
The islands tourism businesses are eagerly awaiting for more news on a reported large deal with a German company to bring many more tourist here this season and future seasons.
The German and other tourism markets are becoming increasingly more important to Kefalonia as its traditional main market from the UK continues to see reducing numbers arriving on the island this season.
Whilst many UK tourists have decided they will postpone again now until 2022 for personnel reasons or due to being deterred by the ongoing politically driven obstacle placed in there way regarding country traffic lights ratings and cost and number of tests required for international travel, it is clear Kefalonia needs tourism this year, so hopefully we will have good news on this potential announcement soon.
As a reminder at present in Kefalonia;
- Covid cases are low, for the last week running at under 20/100,000 (7 day average)
- No reported virus mutations on the island
- 45% of adults have had at least 1 vaccination
- 30% of adults are fully vaccinated
- Greek testing rates are relatively high
- All people coming to the island are tested including anyone coming from the mainland
- Temperatures becoming our friend, its forecast to hit 32c on Monday